Monday, September 16, 2013

Follow before you lead

I think that the quote "one cannot lead another where one has not gone himself" translates to the you must follow before you lead. Its like preaching something that you have never practiced or don't do yourself. You cannot expect someone to listed or take advice from you if you don't do it! This most definitely apply in the health and wellness profession because someone who is trying to lose weight or get into better shape, is not going to listen or take advice from an overweight trainer or one who has not credentials.

1 comment:

  1. I agree to a certain degree with you. If my doctor, who has a medical degree gave me medication, for example an antibiotic, that will help me faster than something natural, I would take it without asking. But, if my medical doctor is telling me to become "mindful" or "calm-abiding" or to meditate, my first question would be "How do I do that?". What is he going to tell me? At least with just this class, I can help some friends or show them some Youtube videos which are along the line of what we are learning in class.

    You are right, I wouldn't want a doctor to tell me to lose weight and they are overweight or obese.

    ReplyDelete